In general, it is a good idea to see an optometrist every two years. This is a good suggestion to follow even when your eyes are in relatively good health, as regular appointments can see what problems might be developing early enough to deal with them. On the other hand, if you have complications or wear corrective lenses like contacts or glasses, it is better to go more often. If you are coming up on time to see an optometrist and you’re in or near the Windy City, then keep reading to learn 5 things to keep in mind when looking for a Chicago eye doctor.
1) Check your insurance coverage first to find approved providers. If you are a full-time employee, you might have health benefits. While general health insurance does not always cover eye doctors, vision-specific insurance is a very common benefit. Consult your plan provider to find out how much they cover and how to find an approved provider. Using an eye doctor out of network could mean throwing away your benefits and your money.
2) If you do look online on your own, do not just type in ‘Chicago’ on your search string. Search engines often only return results that are actually inside the city boundaries of the city listed. If you are near the borders or even in a suburb of Chicago, then make sure to also search again using the suburb name instead for more localized results. Fortunately, Google and other search engines are getting better about basing results based on a person’s physical location where they are searching from, but it never hurts to be thorough.
3) Keep an eye on your mail; you might be in the habit of immediately throwing out junk mail but this is not always a great idea. Many eye doctor’s offices sometimes have dips in sales or are struggling for business. They then send out coupons with incredible deals you can take advantage of.
4) Try to avoid Christmas holidays, summer vacations, and spring and fall breaks. Optometrists sometimes get swarmed with appointments of college students returning home for a little while.
5) Don’t wait to the last minute if you need new glasses or contacts for a specific event, like a formal, a photo, or a trip. Eye doctor appointments can usually happen pretty fast, but ordering glasses can sometimes take up to two weeks.
Using these 5 criteria can help you find a Chicago eye doctor when you need one.